RealTime IT News

Banner Exchange Newsletter Launched

A newsletter called 'Check Box' is launching this month with the goal of becoming "the definitive source for news and reporting on the performance of various banner exchange services and Web site marketing."

Publisher Gregory McKenna already operates a San Francisco-based site called the Banner Exchange MegaList, which also offers free banner creation resources.

"Any marketing program which makes online advertising available free or for as little as $50 a campaign should not be overlooked," said McKenna. "This (banner exchange) pricing is impossible to find elsewhere on the Internet and is of tremendous value to small businesses with limited Web site promotion budgets or for larger businesses looking to test creative prior to launching a large campaign. Most of the exchanges are free but many now offer their members the opportunity to buy additional 'impressions' of their banner at very low prices."

According to McKenna's figures, there are 208 banner exchange programs currently running on the Internet. About 60 percent target all-comers, with the remaining 40 percent targeting special interests by category. The largest program, of course, is LinkExchange, which was just purchased by Microsoft.

"We'll be tracking different banner exchange programs, watching which are delivering results, and reporting on business deals like Microsoft's recent purchase of LinkExchange," McKenna said in the new, free newsletter.