WirelessWatch for October 31, 2003
Page 1 of 1
IPSH and UrbanWorld Wireless Launch Mobile Channel
[October 30, 2003] IPSH and UrbanWorld Wireless (UWW) have launched a mobile marketing channel geared toward hip hop fans, with two initial campaigns featuring recording artists Fabolous (Elektra Records) and JaRule (DefJam Music Group).
Using the platform, Elektra and DefJam will wirelessly deliver promotions and audio samples to UWW's list of opted-in "urban" music fans. Recipients can forward the promotions onto friends via mobile devices.
IPSH and UWW also launched a "Party Alertz" service, sending info on parties and special events to UWW subscribers during NBA's All-Star Weekend. The service "transforms mobile devices into VIP cards," the companies said, letting subscribers present special text codes to clubs in exchange for discounts and privileged treatment.
"IPSH is excited about working with UWW in what we hope will be a long-term partnership of connecting brands and artists to their mobile audiences across the country," said IPSH President Nihal Mehta.
The Killer App For Wireless? Still Voice
[October 30, 2003] Wireless companies may be scrambling to offer next-generation messaging and data services to their customers, but new market research suggests the majority only want to use a mobile phone to call someone.
The report issued Monday by Research and Markets said about 95 percent of all revenue generated by mobile operators is based on voice. The remaining 5 percent of the revenue, according to the Dublin, Ireland-based analyst firm, comes from messaging, with a less than 0.5 percent coming from data services such as General Packet Radio Service (GPRS), Wireless Application Protocol (WAP), Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution (EDGE), Bluetooth, 802.11, and the rest of all those new acronyms.
"New innovative uses of Short Message Services (SMS), both in permission based marketing models and in combination with TV, are looking more promising. However, all of these services will not reach more than 15 percent of total mobile revenue," Senior Manager Amy Cole said in her report.
Enpocket Acquires Skygo
[October 30, 2003] U.K. mobile marketing firm Enpocket has acquired SkyGo, in a move that extends its presence in the U.S. and Asia and suggest the world is starting to notice the nascent wireless ad sector here.
SkyGo has been operating in the United States since 1999, long before the U.S. appetite for wireless marketing achieved its current marginal success. The company has delivered solutions for media companies ABC and ESPN, and advertisers including Visa, CompUSA, P&G and Warner Bros.
Enpocket has hired SkyGo founders Derek Proudion, Daren Tsui and Edwin Ho, and the company plans to open an office in San Francisco.