Internet Stocks, Naughty And Nice
Page 1 of 2
The year began with Internet stocks on a roll that started in the fourth quarter of '98 and continued virtually uninterrupted into April.
That surge was reflected in internet.com's Internet Stock Index, which gained 110.7 percent in the first four months of 1999, rising from 286.73 on Dec. 31 to close at 604.10 on April 30.
Since then 'Net stocks have weathered a few rough spots, but overall have continued to perform impressively, if not at the same torrid pace. The ISDEX finished Wednesday at 872.34, up 44.4 percent since the end of April.
But which individual Internet stocks have been kindest to their investors throughout the year? And which have deposited a large lump of coal in the portfolio stockings of shareholders?
Top 10 Gainers in '99
- White Pine Software (WPNE): 1,225 percent
- BroadVision (BVSN): 1,198 percent
- Exodus Communications (EXDS): 994 percent
- VeriSign (VRSN): 967 percent
- InfoSpace.com (INSP): 856 percent
- Go2Net (GNET): 803 percent
- DoubleClick (DCLK): 796 percent
- CMGI (CMGI): 793 percent
- InterVU (ITVU): 695 percent
- RealNetworks (RNWK): 647 percent
Top 10 Losers in '99