RealTime IT News

Seagram, AOL Plan Net-Based Record Label

Universal Music Group is teaming with America Online Inc. and others to launch a new Internet-based record label.

The initiative, to be called Jimmy and Doug's Farm Club, will be headed by Universal Music Chairman Doug Morris and Jimmy Iovine, co-chairman and Seagram's Interscope Geffen A&M label. America Online (AOL) will own 3 percent of the new operation and Seagram (VO) the remaining 97 percent.

Visitors to FarmClub.com will be able to vote on favorite acts who will be featured on a new, hour-long TV show to be featured on Seagram's USA Network. The Farm Club venture will offer access to all varieties of music with a special emphasis on music of interest to young adults.

Coca-Cola Co.'s (KO) Sprite will be the main sponsor.

The new label will the latest in a series of shake-ups in the music industry caused by the Internet. It marks the first major step taken by a recognized label to use technology to bring new artists to the forefront. MP3, the dominant online music format, has long been used by a variety of independent artists who wish to take their music directly to listeners.

We have made updates to our Privacy Policy to reflect the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation.