RealTime IT News

Spanish Online Ticket Sales Come of Age

[Madrid, Spain--June 16] Spanish e-commerce is maturing, and along with the growing pains have come ambitious initiatives to coax ticket-seeking Spaniards into shopping online.

Spain's Banesto bank and Ya.com, a major portal, joined this month in an online ticket distribution plan for the biggest e-commerce operation in Spanish e-history. Likewise, the high-tech travel distribution company Amadeus teamed up with California-based BroadVision to launch a new software system for online ticket sales.

Using the Virtual Banesto TPV Payment System, Ya.com (the Internet portal of telecom operator Jazzfree) has set up an an online ticket distribution system for the "Show de La Jungla," a traveling show to appear in more than 30 Spanish cities this summer.

"This is is the biggest electronic commerce operation using a major, virtual TPV," said Javier Fuentes, head of Banesto's Internet business division, "Keeping in mind that the number of transactions will go beyond 60,000, we think this is going to help break [Spaniards'] psychological barrier against using credit cards on the Net."

While other banks such as the recently merged Banco Santander Central Hispano (BSCH) use a virtual TPV payment system, fifty percent of Spanish netizens making credit card purchasers from Spanish e-tailers last year went through Banesto. More than 1,400 virtual shops in Spain use the bank's e-commerce payment system.

Amadeus and Broadvision this month announced a joint venture to produce their own software for online ticket purchases. Amadeus is known for its Amadeus System travel distribution software, but the new endeavor will offer more personalized ticket sales through the Net, and will be accessible through GSM mobile phones equipped with WAP technology.

Amadeus provides online distribution, marketing and sales tools to airlines, hotels and travel agencies in more than 130 countries. Founded in 1987, the Madrid-based company has more than 2,800 employees. While 75% of its capital is in the hands of three airlines (Iberia, Air France and Lufthansa), the remaining 25 percent is traded publicly.