RealTime IT News

StarHub Nets Singapore ISP CyberWay

Singapore-based consortium StarHub has successfully concluded its purchase agreement for complete ownership of CyberWay, one of Singapore's three Internet service providers.

"This acquisition of an IASP [Internet Access Service Provider] is in line with our business plan to be a totally integrated info-communications company," said Graham Moore, chairman of StarHub's senior management team.

"I wish to assure all CyberWay customers that we will be very focused on the continued development and delivery of an innovative range of products and services to them," said Moore.

Before the sale, Singapore Press Holdings Multimedia (SPHM) owned 55 percent of CyberWay and Singapore Technologies Telemedia (STT) owned the other 45 percent.

STT however has not given up an interest in CyberWay since it owns a share of StarHub along with other consortium members, British Telecommunications (BT) and Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp. (NTT).

Since November, reports indicated that StarHub was considering a bid for an ISP license so that it could develop Internet telephony services.

The consortium plans to offer global managed services through two international networks, BT's Concert and NTT's Arcstar.