Nortel Selects Certicom's Security Technology
Page 1 of 1
[Brampton, CANADA] Certicom (NASDAQ: CERT, TSE: CIC) has announced a multi-level strategic licensing agreement with Nortel Networks (NYSE: NT, TSE: NT.TO). As part of the agreement with Certicom, Nortel licensed Certicom's Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) to provide a virtual private network (VPN) solution that extends to the growing base of handheld device users.
By integrating ECC, Nortel will be in a position to enable faster performance from its VPN platforms to the Certicom handheld VPN client.
In addition, Nortel will be able to implement Certicom's SSL Plus in a broad range of Nortel Networks telecommunications products. The addition of SSL Plus will provide Nortels customers with a more secure software infrastructure for conducting safe and reliable electronic business transactions across the Internet and other global networks.
Nortel is licensing Certicom's ECC for the Contivity line of VPN products to enable users of Certicom's handheld VPN client fast connections to corporate networks using the Nortels Contivity VPN Switch.
Using an IP-enabled device such as a PDA loaded with the Certicom VPN client, mobile users will be able to gain more secure access to a corporate Intranet that uses Nortel VPN products.
ECC is accepted as the standard for mobile communications due to its ability to minimize power and bandwidth requirements to address the demand for compact yet full strength security for wireless communications.
Nortel will be using Certicom's SSL Plus in a broad range of its telecommunications products. The SSL 3.0 protocol is the industry standard for securing electronic data, and Certicom's SSL Plus is the most widely deployed commercial SSL implementation in the marketplace.
For more InternetNews.com coverage of Nortel and Certicom, see:
- TeleGlobe Signs $400 Million Deal With Nortel, November 20, 2000
- Nortel Rolls Out First Optical Internet Certification, November 6, 2000
- Nortel Confirms Guidance for 2000, 2001, November 1, 2000
- Nortel Recruits Heavyweights to ASP Platform, June 15, 2000
- Certicom, Critical Path Deliver Advanced Security to Internet Messaging, November 3, 1999
- Certicom, Baltimore Technologies Partner, April 21, 1998
- Certicom Delivers Next-Generation Security Solutions, March 11, 1998
- PalmPilot to Use Certicom Cryptography, January 4, 1998