IT Execs Pick Their Faves
Page 1 of 1
Executives and administrators from IT departments around the world chimed in with their picks for the best software and hardware available in 2001 this week.
Conducted through online polling of the five to seven best options in each category -- ranging from best workstation to best software development applications -- the winners of the Datamation.com product of the year poll are a good indication of what's popular in today's business offices, said one of the contest's administrators.
"Datamation.com's audience is comprised primarily of high-level IT executives with experience, knowledge, influence and buying power," said Chris Nerney, INT Media Group's IT management channel executive editor. "Their selection of the top products in each of these categories is a strong indication of which IT technologies and vendors are best serving the needs of enterprise customers in the wake of the failing economy."
The poll was held on the EarthWeb, internet.com and Datamation.com group of Web sites throughout December 2001.
- Network and Systems Software - Red Hat Linux 7.2
- Client Systems, Desktop Product - Dell Precision Workstation 530
- Client Systems, Mobile - Palm m505
- Client Systems, Laptop - Dell Inspiron 8100
- Security - Cisco Systems PIX 501
- Server Hardware - IBM z900
- Business Intelligence Software Microsoft, Data Analyzer
- E-Commerce - WebTrends Live 3.0 from NetIQ
- Enterprise Applications - PeopleSoft 8 Supplier Relationship Management
- Network Infrastructure - Brocade Silkworm 3800 Enterprise Fabric Switch
- Application Development - 3-way tie between IBM's Websphere Studio 4.0; Macromedia's JRun 3 and UltraDev 4 Studio; and Sun Microsystems' Java 2 SDK Enterprise Edition V1.3_01
Officials said full details of the winners in each category and the reason for their popularity would be covered in subsequent articles.
[Editor's Note: Internetnews.com is a subsidiary of INT Media Group,
, owners of Datamation.com and the EarthWeb