dcsimg
RealTime IT News

Tandy Wants To Capitalize On High-Speed Net Demand

Tandy Corp. is aiming for a piece of the high-speed Internet market by acquiring Amerilink Corp.

Tandy will pay $75 million in stock in a deal that values Amerilink at $15.60 a share.

"We see the acquisition as another significant step in our progression toward becoming America's home connectivity store," said Tandy Chairman and CEO Len Roberts.

Amerilink, based in Columbus, Ohio, designs, installs and maintains home use cabling systems for the transmission of video, voice and data on a nationwide basis.

"Demand for our type of services from service providers should be stimulated by the tremendous rise in the use of cable modems and direct broadcast satellite," said Amerilink Chairman and CEO Larry Linhart.

Linhart added that the "cable industry will continue to require our type of services to upgrade their infrastructure, including the connection to customers' homes. The merger of RadioShack's selling expertise, coupled with Amerilink's exceptional installation capabilities, truly gives the RadioShack chain an extraordinary competitive edge."

Amerilink reportedly completes 10,000 to 15,000 installations each week. Residential installations account for 67 percent of the company's sales. Commercial cable installations make up the remaining 33 percent or revenue.

Pending government and Amerilink shareholder approvals, the transaction is anticipated to close late August.



×
We have made updates to our Privacy Policy to reflect the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation.