ORiNOCO Access Server Ups Wireless Security Ante
Page 1 of 1
Lucent Technologies announced its ORINOCO AS-1000 Access Server that offers secure, broadband wireless IP network access. ORINOCO Access Server networks may be used to provide secure, high-speed Internet access in public places such as airports, hotels, and convention centers, as well as on university campuses and at businesses.
Lucent claims that a single ORINOCO AS-1000 unit provides up to 11Mbps Internet access for up to fifty simultaneous users, and multiple ORINOCO AS-1000 units networked together can offer seamless coverage for large sprawling facilities, and wireless access to numerous users. End users can simply log on, and obtain wireless Internet access to check email, surf the Web, download and upload files from corporate intranets, synchronize databases, and more. Based upon the industry standard IEEE 802.11 (Wi-Fi)-compliant technology, ORINOCO utilizes the unlicensed 2.4GHz spectrum, with ranges of up to 1200 feet.
According to Lucent, ORINOCO AS-1000 Access Servers are securely encrypted and eliminate complicated encryption key management by generating keys at the local access server, rather than at the network level. Also, SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) management tools provide full control and monitoring capabilities to the service provider and network manager.
In addition to the AS-1000, the ORINOCO family of products includes:
- the ORINOCO PC Card for laptops and portable computing devices and is compatible with Apple's AirPort system,
- ISA and PCI bus adapters that enable the PC Card to be used inside desktop computers,
- WavePOINT II Access Point, a wireless networking base station for large enterprises and campuses,
- EC and EC/S converters, which enable legacy serial and Ethernet devices to access the ORINOCO wireless system,
- and the Central Outdoor Router and Remote Outdoor Router, which provide point-to-point and point-to-multipoint wireless Internet access.
Lucent is currently working with service providers to install ORINOCO AS-1000 Access Servers in a wide variety of environments.
Lucent Technologies' ORINOCO Outdoor Internet Access (formerly WaveACCESS) technology is also available for ISPs that need high-speed outdoor wireless Internet access and networking systems with up to a ten-mile range.
Lucent Technologies' ORINOCO AS-1000 Access Server will be available in March 2000. ORINOCO products for ISPs and service providers are currently available through Lucent's network of Value-Added Resellers.