- Oracle Accelerates to the Cloud
Thu, 18 Dec 2014
Oracle server hardware sales on the rebound, but the real driver of growth is in the cloud.
- When Hyper-V External Virtual Network Switches Disrupt Network Connectivity
Wed, 17 Dec 2014
Creating an external virtual network switch changes the packet flow on the Hyper-V host, which can potentially create connectivity problems.
- Rackspace Embraces OpenPOWER
Tue, 16 Dec 2014
Rackspace is now the 80th member of the IBM-led OpenPower Alliance, even though Rackspace has never actually deployed a Power system.
- Docker Updates for Three Security Vulnerabilities
Mon, 15 Dec 2014
Docker 1.3.3 provides security updates although Red Hat doesn't consider the issues serious.
- Inside CoreOS Linux, Why Fleet and etcd Matter [VIDEO]
Fri, 12 Dec 2014
Brandon Philips, CTO of CoreOS, explains how his company's Linux server operating system components fit together.
- HP Gen9 Servers Pack More Punch
Wed, 10 Dec 2014
HP continues to innovate with each new generation of servers while maintaining the tradition of engineering quality hardware. Do the new Gen9 systems live up to that high standard?
- Fedora 21 Retools Linux for Servers
Tue, 09 Dec 2014
The first release of Red Hat's community Linux project in 2014 provides server, cloud and workstation-focused products.
- Nginx Raises $20M to Advance Web Server Technology
Tue, 09 Dec 2014
The lead vendor behind the open-source Nginx Web server is looking to fund its growth for the next 10 years.
- Third Quarter 2014 Server Revenues Rise
Fri, 05 Dec 2014
Reports from IDC and Gartner provide a hint of optimism as revenue and server unit shipments grow, thanks largely to the cloud.
- IBM and Cisco Team Up on Server VersaStack
Thu, 04 Dec 2014
With the VCE relationship in the rear-view mirror, Cisco looks forward with IBM's storage.
- Linux Container Adoption Set to Grow Rapidly
Wed, 03 Dec 2014
Linux Foundation's 2014 end user report shows continued growth of Linux servers in the cloud, though concerns over skilled staffing remain.
- Little Known GUI Firewall Options for Linux
Wed, 03 Dec 2014
While command-line interface-based firewalls may be the most popular options in Linux, there are some great easy to use yet powerful GUI-based firewalls as well.
- Cavium Debuts 48-Core ARM Server Chip
Mon, 01 Dec 2014
New ARM chips could be a big boost for Linux distributions.
- Microsoft Starting a Virtual Machine Arms Race with the Azure G-Series?
Tue, 25 Nov 2014
Competition is always good for consumers, and things are heating up nicely in the public cloud arena, with Microsoft and Amazon vying to offer the biggest and baddest machines to customers.
- Red Hat Pushes Forward with CentOS [VIDEO]
Fri, 21 Nov 2014
Red Hat EVP and President Paul Cormier explains how CentOS fits in and why Red Hat doesn't draw a line for open source.
- Checking Active Directory Replication Using PowerShell
Thu, 20 Nov 2014
Discover six useful PowerShell cmdlets offered through Windows Server 2012 for checking and troubleshooting Active Directory replication status.
- SUSE Brings Live Patching and Ceph Storage to Its Enterprise Linux
Tue, 18 Nov 2014
General availability of technology from the kGraft project brings the promise of easier updates with less server downtime.
- China Leads Top500 Supercomputer List Again
Mon, 17 Nov 2014
Once again the Tianhe-2 is the world's most powerful supercomputer, but that doesn't tell the full story of supercomputer server installations in China.
- Red Hat Expands OpenShift PaaS and Container Efforts
Wed, 12 Nov 2014
OpenShift 2.2, xPaaS and Red Hat Atomic Host beta make their debuts this week.
- VMware in the Midst of a Virtualization Technology Management Makeover
Tue, 11 Nov 2014
VMware is seeking to stand out from the competition by re-styling itself, complete with a whole new suite of management products to tempt customers.
- OpenStack ROI and the Myths of Open Source
Thu, 06 Nov 2014
If someone doesn't believe that open source delivers better cloud software, what should vendors do? HP's Marten Mickos has a simple answer.
- LXD: The New Container Hypervisor for Virtualization Security
Thu, 06 Nov 2014
VIDEO: Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Ubuntu Linux, details what the new LXD container effort is all about.
- Using Netsh to Manage Remote Servers and Workstations
Wed, 05 Nov 2014
The Windows network shell can help you configure network-related settings via the Command Prompt, and even better, it can also be used to efficiently manage remote machines.
- OpenStack and the Mysteries of the Universe
Tue, 04 Nov 2014
CERN details its massive server deployment and use of OpenStack at this week's Paris Summit.
- What's With All the Docker Love?
Thu, 30 Oct 2014
If you're into server virtualization tech, Docker is your friend, partly because you it plays nicely with your existing virtualization infrastructure.