- The Benefits of Docker vs. Server Virtualization
Tue, 19 Aug 2014
While containerization may not be a substitute for full-blown hypervisor-based server virtualization, it does offer a number of key benefits.
- Is KVM or Docker Faster for Server Virtualization?
Mon, 18 Aug 2014
A new report from IBM stacks up Linux container against KVM virtual machine performance.
- Oracle Announces SPARC M7 with Security, Performance Enhancements
Wed, 13 Aug 2014
Integration with Database and Java development teams leads to new server CPU innovations.
- Microsoft in Fighting Form vs. VMware
Tue, 12 Aug 2014
While Microsoft is claiming to have eaten some of VMware's lunch in the virtualization space, VMware undoubtedly will be taking some of Microsoft's dinner.
- HP Unveils Smaller, Less Costly Helion Cloud Platform
Sat, 09 Aug 2014
The company, which is investing $1 billion in its cloud initiative, is continuing to grow the services offered under the Helion umbrella.
- Super Micro SuperServer Delivers the Power
Wed, 06 Aug 2014
Consolidation is the name of the game in today's datacenter, and Super Micro has plenty of systems to help, including the SuperServer F627R3-R72B+.
- OpenVMS Coming to x86 Servers
Mon, 04 Aug 2014
HP licenses future development of DEC's OpenVMS to a startup that will push the server operating system forward.
- Red Hat Aims for Linux Standards for ARM Servers
Thu, 31 Jul 2014
The company launches a partner program with ARM, AMD and others to develop a common platform for servers powered by ARM-based chips.
- Managing Windows Azure Resources Using PowerShell
Tue, 29 Jul 2014
Discover how the 280-plus PowerShell cmdlets for Windows Azure can help you perform advanced administration for Windows Azure-hosted resources, including VMs.
- Virtual Machine Management on the Cheap for SMBs
Thu, 24 Jul 2014
With many SMBs becoming deeply involved in server virtualization, there's a growing need for simplified tools to manage their virtualized infrastructure.
- VMware Continues Cloud and Network Virtualization Build-out
Wed, 23 Jul 2014
VMware reports second quarter revenue of $1.46 billion, touting the growth of its cloud products.
- Gaining Free Access to Microsoft and Windows Server Platforms
Mon, 21 Jul 2014
Want to try Windows Server or its development tools on the cheap? Fortunately, numerous free or inexpensive options are available -- if you know where to look.
- Microsoft to Pull Windows Server 2003 Support Next Year
Thu, 17 Jul 2014
Microsoft warns data center operators that hanging onto the long-lived server OS is potentially endangering their IT infrastructures.
- Public Cloud Options Beyond the Obvious
Thu, 17 Jul 2014
While companies like Amazon and Google seem to get all the attention when it comes to talk about public and hybrid clouds, there are plenty of other viable options as well.
- Installing and Activating Hyper-V Linux Integration Services
Mon, 14 Jul 2014
Learn how to install and activate a key set of components that can help improve the performance of Hyper-V virtual machines running Linux distributions.
- Red Hat Pulls the Strings on Server Management with Satellite 6
Thu, 10 Jul 2014
Beta release sets the stage for next level of innovation in system management.
- CentOS 7 Open-Source Server OS Arrives in Style
Tue, 08 Jul 2014
Red Hat-based CentOS 7 debuts less than a month after the general release of RHEL 7.
- Lenovo Deal for IBM x86 Servers Gets OK From China
Tue, 08 Jul 2014
The Chinese government's anti-monopoly agency approves the $2.3 billion deal, which is still getting reviewed by U.S. regulators.
- Enabling UEFI on Virtual Machines
Mon, 07 Jul 2014
UEFI support may be becoming more and more popular, but it can still be problematic to enable on VMs. Discover how to implement UEFI on several leading VM platforms.
- Lenovo CEO Says IBM x86 Server Deal Will Close This Year
Wed, 02 Jul 2014
CEO Yang Yuanging said that despite U.S. security worries, its $2.3 billion proposal to buy IBM's server business will be approved by regulators.
- Russia to Replace Intel, AMD Server Chips With ARM SoCs
Mon, 30 Jun 2014
The country will develop its own ARM-based server processors, with the first chips scheduled to launch in 2015.
- Lenovo's RD340 Is a Workhorse of a Server
Mon, 30 Jun 2014
Our latest server review takes the Lenovo RD340 for a spin by setting up a VMware Virtual SAN proof-of-concept cluster.
- Four Keys to Optimizing Data Center Efficiency and App Workload Performance
Thu, 26 Jun 2014
Can software-driven control really increase server virtualization infrastructure efficiency by as much as 40%, and if so, how?
- Dell Reveals Several New Data Center Appliances
Tue, 24 Jun 2014
Dell announces more new equipment for converged-type infrastructure data centers, including specific new hardware for Oracle Database 12C.
- Top500 Supercomputer Remains Stuck at 33.86 Petaflops
Mon, 23 Jun 2014
The Tianhe-2 retains the crown as little has changed on the most recent list of the world's top 500 supercomputers.