- Linux Kernel Patching Gets Dynamic
Thu, 06 Mar 2014
Oracle, SUSE and Red Hat have now all launched efforts that promise zero-downtime patching. How do the three approaches differ?
- Piston Updates OpenStack Cloud Platform
Wed, 05 Mar 2014
Migrating from one OpenStack release to the next is a key challenge that Piston Cloud Computing has claimed to have conquered.
- eWEEK at 30: Intel, ARM Ramping Up Rivalry in Mobile, Server Markets
Fri, 28 Feb 2014
eWEEK 30: Intel is playing catch-up in the low-power mobile device market where ARM is its strongest rival. Now ARM is taking aim at Intel's bread-and-butter data center server market.
- 2013 Global Server Market Continues to Decline
Thu, 27 Feb 2014
The latest analyst numbers from IDC and Gartner show a continued revenue backslide in 2013, though actual server shipment volume is up.
- HP Tops Slow-Growing Server Market in Q4 2013: Gartner
Wed, 26 Feb 2014
IBM, which is selling its x86 server unit to Lenovo, saw large declines in both server revenue and shipments, the analyst firm says.
- Dell, HP, Cisco, Others Unveil Servers Running on New Intel Xeon Chips
Wed, 19 Feb 2014
The high-end systems are designed to tackle data-intensive workloads like big data, business intelligence and analytics and to challenge RISC systems.
- Intel Debuts Xeon E7 v2 Taking Aim at RISC
Tue, 18 Feb 2014
More clock speed, more memory and more I/O bandwidth highlight new server chip release.
- Samsung Joins IBM's OpenPower Foundation
Thu, 13 Feb 2014
The group aims to extend the reach of IBM's Power architecture by licensing the chip design to companies for servers and storage systems.
- HP Ending Free Firmware Updates for X86 ProLiant Servers
Mon, 10 Feb 2014
Only those customers with systems under warranty will get access to firmware updates, which had been offered for free.
- Dell Unveils Proof-of-Concept ARM-Based Server
Wed, 05 Feb 2014
Company officials say they expect the microserver will help fuel the expansion of the ecosystem around ARM-based servers.