CommVault Introduces QiNetix Management Platform
Page 1 of 1
CommVault Systems today introduced its QiNetix (ki - net - iks) platform, a suite of software products that integrate data protection, availability, migration, storage resource and SAN management software solutions.
The QiNetix platform is based on five separate products: backup & recovery, data migration, quick recovery, SRM and SAN management. Customers can run point solutions or add solutions to an installed CommVault point solution when they need them. The CommVault Common Technology Engine (CTE) makes this possible -- an underlying software foundation that gives CommVault software the ability to implement a meta-policy approach. The CTE utilizes a standards-transparent exchange of information via API interchange, CIM and XML to allow customers to plug the QiNetix software into their current virtualization and storage strategies. With meta-policies, customers can use QiNetix's application-down approach to drive their storage devices and share intelligence about the storage infrastructure. CommVault says that this architecture and shared module strategy delivers substantial benefits:
- Less administration cost since storage infrastructure visualization and management is integrated with data movement functions
- Better data availability because entire stack can be managed from application viewpoint
- Decreased storage related costs since migration, availability and data protection solutions can dynamically share resources
- Reduced training and administration because all solutions share a common interface and operational approach
- Less environmental complexity
- Single vendor for support of migration, availability, access and data protection solutions
- Lower acquisition cost versus comparable data protection point solutions from other vendors
"CommVault's QiNetix suite gives users the ability to set policies and let the software do the heavy lifting. The real breakthrough is the active integration of `do-something' software modules; backup, migration and quick recovery, with discovery and reporting tools," said Steve Duplessie, founder and senior analyst, Enterprise Storage Group. "The software decides where to put things based on the attributes associated with the data and application itself."
"QiNetix is the only data and storage management platform that delivers a truly integrated, application-centric solution, not disparate point level products that are glued together on the surface," said Bob Hammer, CommVault president and chief executive officer. "We applied our extensive data and storage expertise to design a platform that exceeded today's customer demands -- they can now keep data highly available with automated data and storage management. Our goal was to simplify our customers' environmental complexities and reduce their costs -- and we've done that with QiNetix."