Asia/Pacific Storage Market Totaled $549 Million
Page 1 of 1
Organizations across Asia/Pacific are focusing more heavily on their storage resources, as was evident in the first half of 2002 when the Asia/Pacific external storage market totaled $549 million, according to Dataquest, a unit of Gartner.
"E-mail, video, digital imaging and audio information are contributing to a massive explosion in storage capacity," said Matthew Boon, principal analyst for Gartner Dataquest's Asia/Pacific Computing Platforms group. "The demand from emerging data-heavy content technologies is being felt not just in the mature markets of the region, but from emerging markets, such as China, India, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Indonesia."
South Korea ranked No. 1 in external storage revenue in Asia/Pacific. South Korea recorded higher external storage revenue than China, despite China being No. 1 in terms of server revenue.
"While China today has not attained the No. 1 status when it comes to external storage, compared to the server market, we do expect China to eventually account for a larger slice of the storage pie in Asia/Pacific than South Korea," said Boon.
The newly merged Compaq and Hewlett-Packard emerged as the overall market leader in external storage revenue with 22 percent market share and 21 percent market share in terms of actual external storage capacity.
"While HP emerged as the overall leading external storage vendor in the first half of 2002, this was largely due to revenue derived from the external direct attached storage (DAS) market," said Phil Sargeant, research director for Gartner's Servers and Storage research in Asia/Pacific. "When we break down the segments, EMC was the leader in the SAN segment, while Network Appliance was the No. 1 vendor in the NAS segment for the first half of 2002."
In recent customer surveys, Gartner Dataquest continues to see organizations in Asia/Pacific looking to networked storage to improve their overall storage infrastructure capabilities. During the first six months of 2002, networked storage (storage area networks and network attached storage) accounted for a combined 48.5 percent of total external storage revenue, with the remaining 51.5 percent attributable to externally attached DAS storage.