Networking & CommunicationsSee All
- NFV and the Distributed Data Environment
Fri, 27 Mar 2015
A working knowledge of NFV is critical even to enterprise data center admins more concerned with SDN. Art Cole explains why.
- Akamai: Average Internet Speed 4.5 Mbps in 4Q14
By Sean Michael Kerner | Thu, 26 Mar 2015
In the U.S the average mobile connection speed in the fourth quarter was reported to be 3.2 Mbps.
- Blue Coat Plots a Course Forward Post Bain Acquistion
By Sean Michael Kerner | Wed, 25 Mar 2015
Blue Coat is expanding its Global Intelligence Network
- Global Average Internet Connection Speed Nudges Upward to 4.5 Mbps
Wed, 25 Mar 2015
Broadband Internet speeds continue to rise, according to the fourth quarter Akamai State of the Internet report.
- Opinion: The FTC's IoT Power Grab
Tue, 24 Mar 2015
A recent Federal Trade Commission report on data stewardship issues related to the Internet of Things is effectively a political power play.
- Global Data Center Network Equipment Market Hit $11.2 Billion in 2014
By Sean Michael Kerner | Tue, 24 Mar 2015
As networking vendors of all sizes talk about the benefits of Software Defined Networking, it's important to remember that hardware still remains at the core of all networks.
- Bare Metal Switching Set to Grow
Mon, 23 Mar 2015
Open networking trend is set to drive demand for bare metal switch ports.
- The Ins and Outs of Bare Metal Switching
Fri, 20 Mar 2015
Bare metal switching is a hot SDN topic. Learn about the advantages of bare metal and how to decide between bare metal and white box network switches.
- Juniper Adds More OpenStack Distro Support with Mirantis
Thu, 19 Mar 2015
Contrail now supported in Mirantis OpenStack.
- PLUMgrid Ignition Turning the Key for SDN Testing
Wed, 18 Mar 2015
Getting an SDN test up and running doesn't have to be a disruption anymore.
- Alcatel-Lucent Pushes UC to the Deskphone
Tue, 17 Mar 2015
Unified Communications and HD video bring the deskphone into the modern age.
- SDN and the New Data Paradigm
Fri, 13 Mar 2015
The enterprises of the future demand full virtualization of the data stack. Find out what roles SDN and NFV will play.
- Cumulus Networks Submits APD Spec to OCP
Thu, 12 Mar 2015
Newly submitted to the Open Compute Project, Cumulus Networks specification could enable better operating system integration with bare metal switches.
- Switch Abstraction Interface Specification Lands a Open Compute Project
By Sean Michael Kerner | Thu, 12 Mar 2015
The Switch Abstraction Interface (SAI) provides another layer between the OS and physical silicon on the switch.
- Blue Coat Sold by Thoma Bravo to Bain for $2.4 Billion
By Sean Michael Kerner | Wed, 11 Mar 2015
As part of the strategic direction with the new Bain Capital acquisition, Blue Coat is likely set to return to the public markets and exit its current existence as a privately-held company.
- Dell Helps to Advance Switch Abstraction Interface
Wed, 11 Mar 2015
New Open Compute Project initiative could help to further democratize networking landscape.
- Blue Coat Acquired (Again) for $2.4 Billion
Tue, 10 Mar 2015
Just over three years after being acquired for $1.3 billion, Blue Coat is acquired again.
- NFV Set to Accelerate Video and Audio Delivery
Mon, 09 Mar 2015
NFV isn't just about making networking work better, it's about the services that networking enables.
- SDN to Help Overcome Docker’s Networking Woes
Fri, 06 Mar 2015
SDN is a perfect fit for enabling Docker containerization technology. Find out who's working to enable the next generation of networking.
- Cisco ACI in the Real World
Thu, 05 Mar 2015
Cisco's ACI is blazing a trail for SDN in the enterprise. Find out who's deploying ACI and why.
- Citrix Debuts New Carrier-Grade Netscaler ADC
Wed, 04 Mar 2015
New carrier-class Citrix ADC platform can scale up to 3.5 Tbps.
- Aruba Advances Cloud Networking Control
Tue, 03 Mar 2015
Aruba takes on Cisco Meraki Wi-Fi gear with new 7000 Series cloud services controllers.
- Oracle Debuts its Own Switches Aims to Bridge Ethernet and InfiniBand
Mon, 02 Mar 2015
Oracle's SDN efforts move into the hardware realm.
- HP Set to Acquire Aruba Networks for $2.7 Billion
Mon, 02 Mar 2015
HP aims to grow its WiFi capabilities through Aruba Networks acquisition.
- Midokura Enterprise MidoNet 1.8 Advances SDN
By Sean Michael Kerner | Mon, 02 Mar 2015
Midokura is out with its Midokura Enterprise MidoNet (MEM) 1.8 SDN release, which is based on the open-source MidoNet 2015.01 milestone.
- Canonical and Juniper Partner for Carrier Grade OpenStack
By Sean Michael Kerner | Fri, 27 Feb 2015
Juniper Networks and Canonical, the lead commercial sponsor of Ubuntu Linux, are partnering for a new Network Function Virtualization cloud platform, based on OpenStack and the Contrail Software Defined Networking (SDN) controller.
- Midokura Pushes Open-Source SDN Forward
Fri, 27 Feb 2015
Both enterprise and open-source community releases of the MidoNet SDN framework are moving ahead.
- HTTP/2 Brings SPDY to the Web
By Sean Michael Kerner | Wed, 25 Feb 2015
HTTP/2 is the next generation of the HTTP protocol that dominates and continues to define the modern web.
- Brocade 1Q15 Revenue Reported at $576 Million
By Sean Michael Kerner | Mon, 23 Feb 2015
The SteelApp acquisition might not be the only acquisition that Brocade makes in 2015.
- AllSeen Alliance Announces IoT Patent Policy
By Sean Michael Kerner | Fri, 30 Jan 2015
If you build with a a compliant base implementation of AllJoyn and you get your product certified, you're good to go, there are no royalties
- Cisco Takes IT Management into the Cloud
By Sean Michael Kerner | Fri, 30 Jan 2015
Cisco wants to enable enterprises to manage their networks, both wired and wireless, from the cloud.
- Juniper Reports 2014 Revenue of $4.63 Billion
By Sean Michael Kerner | Thu, 29 Jan 2015
Juniper Network's security business is set for a significant evolution, after the company took an $850 non-cash impairment charge for fiscal 2014.
- Riverbed Renews SteelHead with CX 70 WAN Optimization Portfolio
By Sean Michael Kerner | Mon, 19 Jan 2015
Riverbed is starting off 2015 with a renewed emphasis on its flagship SteelHead product lineup.
- 3Q14 Videoconferencing Market Revenues Reach $838 million
By Sean Michael Kerner | Thu, 15 Jan 2015
Infonetics' third quarter 2014 (3Q14) Enterprise Telepresence and Video Conferencing Equipment report shows flat year-over-year revenue growth for the market segment.
- [VIDEO] Where is Big Switch and SDN Headed in 2015?
By Sean Michael Kerner | Tue, 13 Jan 2015
Moving forward the plan for Big Switch is to continue to evolve SDN.
- 3Q14 Global Average Internet Connection Speed was 4.5 Mbps
By Sean Michael Kerner | Fri, 09 Jan 2015
During the third quarter of 2014, the global broadband adoption rate for connections of 4 Mbps or greater hit 60 percent of all connections
- AllSeen Alliance Brings IoT to the Cloud
By Sean Michael Kerner | Wed, 07 Jan 2015
The AllSeen Alliance is expanding the framework with the AllJoyn Gateway Agent that expands the footprint of IoT features beyond a user's local environment, all the way out to the cloud.
- Policy will be Key for Networking in 2015
By Sean Michael Kerner | Tue, 06 Jan 2015
Managing networking policy is something that networking professionals have always had deal with, whether it's command line-driven access control lists (ACLs) or integrations with Radius and AAA servers
- Riverbed Going Private in $3.6 Billion Deal with Thoma Bravo
By Sean Michael Kerner | Tue, 16 Dec 2014
After months of debate and speculation about the future of Riverbed Technologies, the networking vendor has chosen its path.
- Cisco Focusses on IoT Analytics
By Sean Michael Kerner | Mon, 15 Dec 2014
Cisco is celebrating its 30th anniversary as a company, by continuing to push forward and evolve for the next generation of IT challenges.