“The HP board just made the worst personnel decision since the idiots on the Apple board fired Steve Jobs many years ago. That decision nearly destroyed Apple and would have if Steve hadn’t come back and saved them.”
- Oracle CEO Larry Ellison blasting the decision by HP’s Board of Directors to fire his friend, CEO Mark Hurd over falsified expense reports. The discovery of the expense reports came about as HP’s board was investigating claims — later dismissed — of sexual harassment against a former HP contractor. (New York Times)
“It’s also extremely impressive that Google does all this in the cloud. What you say is recognized and processed by Google servers and back to the device in close to real time. Of course, if you’re not connected, you’re hosed.”
- Creative Strategies analyst Ben Bajarin commenting on Google’s new Voice Actions feature for Android devices. (Enterprise Mobile Today)
“There is no shortage of amazing ideas. We do intend to take considerable risks. If we’re going after a grand challenge, which we are in the Space Technology Program — this is not an incremental technology development program, this is a far-reaching technology program — for us to do that, we’re going to have to take a little bit of risk.”
- NASA’s chief technologist Bobby Braun commenting on the space agency’s plans to create new technologies that could one day help transport astronauts to any extraterrestrial destination. (Silicon Valley Mercury News)
“We must show that the public — of all stripes — is against Google and Verizon’s plan to turn control of the Internet over to corporations. This is not a left-right issue. This is an American issue.”
- Josh Levy, online campaign manager for Free Press, in a letter inviting supporters of net neutrality to join a protest rally at Google’s headquarters in Silicon Valley. (PC World)
“Modern corporations of all kinds are more committed to innovation than they may have been 10 years ago. A lot of the functionality from the technology industry is penetrating other industries.
- Mark Blaxill, co-author of The Invisible Edge: Taking Your Strategy to the Next Level Using Intellectual Property. (Bloomberg BusinessWeek)
We want your quotes. If you see an IT quote that catches your eye or tickles your funny bone, click here to send us a link using our feedback form. Submissions must be received before Noon Pacific time on Thursday.