A new Swedish search engine, Allt.com, is being touted as a “new
generation search tool,” and with an index of 2.5 million Swedish Web
pages, is one of the most comprehensive search site in the Swedish
Allt.com is considered “the 5th generation of search engine,” according to
co-creator Jan-Olof Granlund. Visitors can search the content of
e-mail, film, sound, music, pictures, Java and programs, Granlund said,
giving the term search a new meaning.
A search for “programs” substitutes the need for shareware search sites.
And Allt.com will index more and create the biggest repository for
pictures, documents, programs and more, he said. He said Allt.com may
render sites like download.com obsolete.
According to Granlund, Allt.com will shortly become one of the search
engines on MSN.com’s Swedish version
portal. Granlund’s company, Concurrent Data
Dynamics, currently hosts Allt.com on its servers.
In terms of content, its closest competitor, the Swedish version of
Altavista, known as Evreka.com in
Sweden, has about 2.2 million Swedish Web pages.
Features of Allt.com include:
- Highest power for the price–It can be run on standard computer systems.
- Total indexing–Everything on the Web is indexed, including sound,
pictures, programs, e-mail addresses and video clips.
- Easy scalability–Its easy to add more power and storage capacity by
simply adding another computer.
- Non-stop-computing–Database distribution and mirroring on the cluster
gives highest redundancy.
- Tailor made–Symmetric Information eXchange (SIX) is the key to the
database GRAIL for fast searching in large databases.
- Easy to go and hands free–The software system is easy to install and
after booting, takes care of itself. An error gives a mail warning.