“I’m not on Facebook. People have said mean things about me on the Internet and as a self-hating person I don’t want to contribute to that.”
- Actor Jesse Eisenberg, talking about his portrayal of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg in the new movie “The Social Network” (Late Show With David Letterman)
“The scenario will incorporate known, credible technical capabilities of adversaries and the exploitation of real cyber infrastructure vulnerabilities, resulting in a range of potential consequences — including loss of life and the crippling of critical government and private sector functions.”
- From a Department of Homeland Security document describing Cyber Storm, the upcoming three-day simulation designed to test the country’s ability to respond to a major attack on U.S. digital infrastructure.
“While background checks, which mainly look for a criminal record, and even credit checks have become more common, Social Intelligence is the first company that I’m aware of that systematically trolls social networks for evidence of bad character.
- Columnist Mike Elgan on a company called Social Intelligence that data-mines social networks to help companies screen potential hires. (Datamation)
“It’s not a matter of expense, it’s a matter of being a great learning tool. There are a lot of things you are able to do with it, with the video playbook, the edits that you can do. We don’t have to give out the playbook. Last year, our playbook was so big, it cost $175 to print them up.”
- Washington Wizards head coach Flip Saunders explaining why he gave every player on the team an Apple iPad. (Washington Post)
“Essentially we built the plane in SolidWorks before building it in real life.”
- Samuel Schweighart, co-founder and vice president of engineering at Terrafugia. The company is building a $250,000 “flying car” set to be released late next year. SolidWorks is a 3-D CAD design program. (Fast Company)
We want your quotes. If you see an IT quote that catches your eye or tickles your funny bone, click here to send us a link using our feedback form. Submissions must be received before Noon Pacific time on Thursday.