Alteon WebSystems (ATON) introduced Web OS 8.0, a major new release of its traffic control software. The product is designed to deliver a comprehensive collection of traffic management features in a single Web switch, a statement issued by the company said.
Available immediately to current Alteon stackable Web switches, Web OS 8.0 extends Web switch application and content-intelligent traffic management services. The new version includes:
- A gigabit-class, switch-based data center bandwidth management solution
- Alteon’s Virtual Matrix Architecture
- User-configurable client proximity tables and enhanced client-proximity features for global server load balancing
- User-scriptable server health checks
- Advanced server security features and secure switch administration
- IP Type-of-Service tagging and traffic redirection
- Intelligent load balancing and traffic redirection with URL header parsing
- Border Gateway Protocol intelligence
At the same time that it announced Web OS 8.0’s availability, Alteon also introduced two new additions to its ACEdirector and Alteon 180 Web switches lines: the Alteon 184 and ACEdirector 4. Identical in port density and form factor to Alteon’s 180 and ACEdirector products, these new Web switches are NEBS-1 certified and feature increased memory to support larger topologies requiring more concurrent connections. The DC power option is also now available across all Alteon Web lines.
For Alteon’s current stackable products, Web OS Bandwidth Management is an optional software module. All other features in Web OS 8.0 are available immediately as a free software upgrade on existing stackable Web switches to customers with software subscription services.
Alteon WebSystems introduced the concept of Web switching and aims to be a leading provider of next-generation Internet infrastructure solutions designed to enable e-businesses to meet the demands resulting from the rapid growth of the Internet. Alteon’s Web data center products include Web switches, server adapters and traffic management software. All products are optimized to meet the specific challenges of managing Web traffic and provide the high performance and availability of leading networking infrastructure solutions.
Founded in May of 1996, Alteon WebSystems employs a staff of more 300 throughout the world.