Software Distribution Platform Grows for Elibrium

French-based software publisher and distributor BVRP Group is polishing the U.S.-based gem of its global distribution crown after buying out Silicon Valley-based software publisher and distributor Elibrium.

A year after taking a 51 percent stake in the San Mateo, Calif.-based company, which designs and markets productivity and digital media software for small business and personal users, BVRP Group has now acquired the remaining 49 percent for about $5.2 million in cash and stock. The deal awaits shareholder approval.

The deal comes as BVRP Group, best-known as a network of subsidiaries and partners with software distribution agreements in major markets worldwide, puts Elibrium at the center of its plan to grow its presence in the United States as well as Asia and other major software markets.

Christina Seelye, Elibrium’s president and CEO, said the deal will also help better position its products in European markets through BVRP’s publishing subsidiaries.

One of its more popular titles it is distributing right now, she added, is GhostSurf Pro software, which helps users surf the Web anonymously. In addition, it helps remove spyware , blocks hackers, and prevents annoying pop-up ads.

Elibrium already has broad distribution and product placement deals in major retail sites such as Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Fry’s Electronics, Micro Center, Office Depot, Office Max and Staples.

Senior managers for Elibrium are expected to remain in the United States, especially as it takes a lead role in handling the development of BVRP’s Avanquest network in the United States.

For Elibrium, which has been in operation for more than 20 years, the deal helps raise its profile in global markets with its focus on developing communication software titles.

News Around the Web